collage of the fire department

Fire Quickly Extinguished

A fire in an outdoor wood shed was quickly extinguished Friday night, thanks in part to the quick thinking of the homeowner.

On Friday Night 12/27/2019, Williamsburg Fire units were dispatched by Northampton Control Dispatch Center to a residence on Hyde Hill Rd for a report of a structure fire in an out building within close proximity to a residence. First arriving units advised the fire was contained to a 20x30 shed, which housed an outdoor boiler, thanks in part to the quick thinking of the home owner who had used a garden hose to keep the fire from extending into the residence. Williamsburg Fire units fully extinguished the fire and remained on scene a short time to monitor for any hot spots. The cause is believed to from hot ashes in a bucket.

Ashes can stay hot for an extended period of time and proper care should be taken before disposing of any ashes. The Massachusetts Department of Fire Service recommends, ashes that are cleaned out from a stove or fireplace should be shoveled into a metal bucket with a metal lid and placed outside on the ground away from any buildings or combustible material.

For more information about fire safety involving Chimney and Woodstoves please see the following handout provided by Mass DFS. Chimney and Woodstove Fire Safety