collage of the fire department


Crew were able to quickly extinguish a chimney fire, preventing further damage to residence.


Around 2:30 this afternoon the Williamsburg Fire Department was dispatch to a residence on Chesterfield Rd (Rt 143) for a report of a chimney fire. While still in route, dispatch updated responding units that the smoke detectors were also sounding in the residence. First arriving units had heavy smoke and fire showing from the top of the chimney along with heavy smoke inside the residence. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire to prevent any extension to the rest of the house. Ventilation fans were used to clear the home of smoke. Chesterfield Fire Department was requested to respond with a tanker to assist, but were cancelled prior to their arrivial.The chimney was deemed to be unsafe for use and not to be used untill it is serviced and inspected by a qualified mason. There were no reported injuries to the home owner or fire personnel.

Most chimney fires occur because of a build-up of creosote, a tarry byproduct of burning wood. The Williamsburg Fire Department would like to remind everyone to have your chimney flue cleaned before each heating season. Also remember to allow 36 inches of clearance around the appliance to prevent combustibles from coming into contact with a heat source. Don't use flammable liquids to start a fire. Never leave children unattended near the stove. Check that the damper is open before lighting the fire. Install and maintain smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms to provide protection for your family.