Open Brush Burning Season Starts January 15th
Massachusetts allows residents to burn brush between January 15 and May 1, depending on weather conditions and air quality as set by the MassDEP
Massachusetts allows residents to burn brush between January 15 and May 1, depending on weather conditions and air quality as set by the MassDEP. You must obtain a permit from the town in which you plan to burn brush.
Mass DEP Daily Air Quality Report
- You may only burn BRUSH! All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10:00am and must be extinguished by 4pm.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time. (Example: Violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions.)
- Open burning season is January 15 - May 1.
- Massachusetts Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 "Open Burning"
- More information from the Massachusetts DEP.
To obtain a brush burning permit in Williamsburg please go to www.hcburnpermits.com on the day you like to burn between the hours 8:30am and 1:00pm and follow the directions.
You may call (413) 340-1114 prior to the day you would like to burn. Someone will return your call and issue you a permit number. Then on the day you would like to burn, call back (413) 340-1114 after 8:30am and listen to the message to see if burning is allowed or not. If burning is allowed for that day, leave a message with your name, address, phone number and permit number.