Open Brush Burning Season
Season Starts January 15th and goes through May 1st
Open Brush Burning Season starts January 15th and goes through May 1st. To obtain a permit, log onto www.hcburnpermits.com on the day you would like to burn after 8:30 am and self issue your permit. This is the most efficient way to obtain a permit. The program will turn on and off automatically. The system will not allow you to obtain a permit if burning is not being allowed. You may call (413) 268-7233 and select option 4 if you do not have access to the internet, although permits may not be issued the same day, so we recommend calling prior to the day you would like to burn to obtain a set of the rules.
Online Burn Permits Program
- You may only burn BRUSH! All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10:00am and must be extinguished by 4pm.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time. (Example: Violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions.)
- Open burning season is January 15 - May 1.
- Massachusetts Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 "Open Burning"
- More information from the Massachusetts DEP.